Midtown Reader School Book Fairs
Book Fairs with Midtown Reader
Currently, Midtown Reader is hosting school book fairs using a hybrid online/in-store model. Families can shop in-store and online during the book fair dates and Midtown Reader will donate 15% of the proceeds to the school. You can review a model of the book fair website at this link: VIRTUAL BOOK FAIR | Midtown Reader
Book Fair Details
• We recommend spreading the book fair out over several days, typically a full school week.
• Please provide us with two or three possible date ranges and we will determine which dates are available and confirm via email.
Teacher Wish Lists:
• Schools can provide teacher wish lists to be added to the online shop and on-site displays so that families can purchase books for their classrooms.
• The school’s point of contact for the book fair should request wish lists from the teachers and email the list to firstname.lastname@example.org 2 weeks prior to the book fair so we have time to obtain any books we need to, and upload the lists onto the web page.
NOTE: due to the COVID impacts on the supply chain, some books may be back-ordered or out of stock. We will do our best to obtain all the books requested as timely as possible.
• Families can fill our bookplates to include personalized inscriptions in the book if desired.
• Midtown Reader will collect the teacher books at the shop and deliver them to the school when the orders are complete.
• The web page noted above will be updated with your school information the week of your book fair. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THE LINK TO THE SITE PRIOR TO THE BOOK FAIR WEEK - it will be set up for a different school until that week.
• Families will be able to choose in-store pick up or shipping at checkout.
• The school will be given a unique code to use as a “COUPON” for online sales. and must mention they are with “____” school book fair when shopping in-store.
• The website also contains a “DONATE” button for families that may want to make an extra donation to the school.
• Once you have a date confirmed, we will request the following from the school:
• Logo – if you have one and want us to, we can add it to the Book Fair page for a personal touch
• Any specific language/copy you want us to use to describe the event on the website that might be different from the standard language (e.g., if funds are being used for a specific purpose, or the school is promoting a reading program, etc.)
• Teacher wish lists – if you want - at least 2 weeks prior to the event
• Optional – at least 2 days before the event – any handouts, raffle items, signs, etc. that you might want to have out in the store during the event
• Families must use the Online COUPON CODE at checkout on the website or tell us they are with “____ School Book Fair” when shopping in-store. All sales of any books, gifts or other items purchased by your school families will count toward the book fair donation.
• The school/PTA will receive 15% of all pre-tax sales generated through the Book Fair, and 100% of any donations made via the “Donate” button
• Donations are typically calculated within 10 days of the Book Fair. Please let us know whom we should make the check out to and where it should be mailed.
Other Fun Stuff!
• We are always open to ideas and suggestions to make the Book Fair unique to your school.
• AFTER HOURS NIGHT: Your school may pick one evening of the book fair for a private evening event, 5:30-7:30 PM, if desired.
• Capacity is strictly limited to 10 people/time.
• The time can be used in one block, or broken down into 30-minute blocks for several groups to come
• Some schools schedule a PTA night, others have created sign-ups for friend groups to come, one school principal made a special
appearance on their night – we’re open to suggestions and creative ideas!
• If you decide to do this, please let us know as soon as possible and we will work with you to come up with a plan for something workable and COVID-compliant.
• GIVEAWAYS, RAFFLES, TREATS, ETC.
• We have had schools make up bookmarks, pencils, stickers, etc. to give out, raffle off a spirit wear basket (for donations), and provide treats to give away (wrapped to take home – no eating in the shop due to masking!). If you have an idea, run it by us and we’ll work with you!